The opening titles to Spider-Man 3 always bugged me. Danny Elfman left the series after Spider-Man 2 and so Christopher Young took up composing duties. While he kept most of Elfman's motifs (including the opening theme), the score in general was - in my opinion - not to the standard of Elfman's prior two efforts. This was most evident in the opening credits, which always felt cobbled together and rushed to me. The fact that over half of the runtime is devoted to a medley of Young's villain motifs really drove home the film's infamous 'villain overload' right from the first few minutes. What's more, it included them at the expense of things like the concluding 'Responsibility Theme' and other instantly recognisable theme motifs.
I decided to make an edit of the titles that was more faithful to those in the previous two films - and found that the visuals synced perfectly. This makes me think that these titles were originally edited around the Spider-Man 1 theme, and the music was then later changed to one that didn't work nearly as well. Some particularly great sync points between the music and visuals can be found at 1:06, 1:20, 1:29, 1:43, 1:49, 1:55, 1:58, 2:03, 2:32, 2:43, 2:49, and 3:01. There are certainly enough of them that I'm sure that it isn't coincidental!
In-depth Edit Analysis
- I stripped the whole theme back to basics. For the most part, I used the original Spider-Man 3 theme. I've totally removed the villain motif medley and replaced it with the corresponding section from the first film's score (between around 1:20 and 1:44). I used a totally orchestral version, in keeping with the style of Spider-Man 3 - while Elfman's two themes used heavy electronic elements, Young's uses them only sparingly.
- The more spartan Spider-Man 3 theme has been beefed up with orchestral and choral elements borrowed from the themes of the first two movies, to give it more of an Elfman-esque feel. This is particularly noticeable (in comparison to the original Spider-Man 3 theme) at 0:52-0:55, 1:13-1:20, and 2:20-2:32, among others.
- Added the more familiar Spider-Man theme between 1:48 and 2:32 that was largely replaced by the villain motif. Spider-Man 3 score elements from this are from the unreleased score.
- Added the signature deep electronic note as the first web appears at 0:31. This was a very familiar part of the first two film's openings, and removed for the third.
- Added an element from Christopher Young's score 'Saving Gwen' at 1:43-1:48. This variation of the title theme wasn't used in the final film.
- Added the 'Responsibility Theme' to the ending beginning at 2:34. This is an edit of the one found in Spider-Man 1 and 2, and again purely orchestral.
- Cleaned up and edited the visuals. I've boosted the colours and saturation in parts, as I felt that the original Spider-Man 3 visuals looked a little washed-out in comparison to the two colourful intros that had come before. I think this is now the highest quality upload currently available on YouTube, in full 1080p.